Best Psychologists in Nairobi
Who is a psychologist?
Clinical psychologists in Nairobi are mental health professionals with highly specialized training in the diagnosis and psychological treatment of mental, behavioral, and emotional illnesses, including obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), alcoholism, drug abuse, marital crises, family conflict, and depression, among others.
Clinical psychologists do not prescribe medications but rather use psychological techniques, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and psychoanalytic therapy.
What is the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists?
While psychologists learn more about psychotherapy techniques, psychiatrists can prescribe medications and spend time with patients under medication as a line of treatment.
Clinical psychologists in Nairobi must usually complete a Ph.D. in clinical psychology before being able to see patients and employ the skills they have learned. In Kenya, just like in other countries, the professional activities of clinical psychologists are regulated by a licensing board and/or professional college.
The Kenya Psychological Association, which also uses the acronym KPsyA, is a scientific and professional organization of psychologists in Kenya. Its growing membership includes all branches of psychology, such as counseling psychology, clinical psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, and industrial psychology.
To be a practitioner, these competencies are required:
- Making and maintaining effective relationships with others, including clients, fellow practitioners, and the public. The clinical psychologist must also be fair, respectful, a clear communicator, and able to handle potentially difficult situations with understanding and diplomacy.
- Sensitivity to individual and cultural diversity and understanding how these factors affect who we are and how we think.
- An awareness of ethical and legal principles and employing them effectively.
- A professional attitude, values, and behaviors that are apparent in interactions with others.
- A continual practice of self-evaluation and always striving to improve treatment methods.
- An understanding of different scientific disciplines that relate to psychology and how they may impact treatment.
- Skill in collaborating with others from different disciplines and organizations, employing respect, appreciation, and communication.
- Keeping up with the latest research and identifying how it can improve clinical practice.
How to choose a psychologist in Kenya
To find Psychologists in Nairobi, ask your usual physician to refer you to one since treatment may require them to consult frequently. Besides, you can also ask for referrals from family members, or friends or by placing a call to the registered psychological association to give you a list of psychologists in Nairobi, for you to choose from. It may be a little difficult to undertake background checks because of client-doctor confidentiality but ask a close friend to accompany you to the offices to make inquiries before making the choice.
What to consider before making a choice
Besides checking their credentials, factors such as distance to the clinic may be taken into consideration. Make a visit to the offices to check the ambiance since one would want to be in comfortable surroundings. Meeting the psychologists in Nairobi is also important to establish the level of personal conformity and how easily a rapport can be created. These are important factors that would weigh in on the comfort and recovery journey since you would want to look forward to the sessions and not dread them, adding unnecessary worry to oneself.
Finances should also be taken into consideration, and it is appropriate to inquire about the rates and payment plans. Some insurance companies cover these services but others do not. This is critical to ensuring that your sessions are all covered and you will not have to leave halfway due to the inability to settle the fees.
These are issues that Leading psychologists in Nairobi such as Intrapersonal Health will be happy to discuss with you.